"I am encouraged by our results in the first quarter of 2012, which is a further step in the right direction for Philips on our path to value to achieve the mid-term 2013 financial targets... Healthcare sales and order intake showed robust growth," said Frans van Houten, CEO of Royal Philips Electronics. "We remain cautious about the remainder of 2012 given the uncertainties in Europe, particularly in the healthcare and construction markets, and the slowing growth rate in the global economy."
Philips Healthcare also noted several business highlights:
- As a leader in home health care solutions, Philips has strengthened its respiratory care portfolio with the introduction of SimplyGo, an innovative portable oxygen concentrator that helps homecare providers manage the therapy and lifestyle needs of nearly all oxygen users.
- In partnership with Smit Mobile Equipment, Philips has introduced a mobile MicroDose unit in the Middle East. The MicroDose system, a unique low-dose digital mammography solution, has been installed in a mobile breast cancer screening vehicle specifically adapted to the local requirements.
- Demonstrating its imaging systems leadership position and innovation progress in China, Philips achieved a major milestone having received more than 100 purchase orders for its Brilliance 256-slice iCT scanner since the introduction of this state-of-the-art system in this region.
- At its annual meeting, the American College of Cardiology (ACC), a 39,000-member non-profit medical society, dedicated to enhancing the lives of cardiovascular patients, has partnered with Philips to showcase the newest minimally invasive techniques to treat cardiovascular disease, including multi-modality imaging, dose reduction solutions and advanced robotic-assisted systems.
- As part of its commitment to offer customized services to support the operational performance goals of healthcare organizations, Philips has signed a five-year maintenance services contract with Tanzania’s Ministry of Health, which encompasses 120 hospitals in the country.
Philips CEO Frans van Houten comments on Q1
About Royal Philips Electronics
Royal Philips Electronics of the Netherlands (NYSE: PHG, AEX: PHI) is a diversified health and well-being company, focused on improving people's lives through timely innovations. As a world leader in healthcare, lifestyle and lighting, Philips integrates technologies and design into people-centric solutions, based on fundamental customer insights and the brand promise of "sense and simplicity." Headquartered in the Netherlands, Philips employs approximately 122,000 employees with sales and services in more than 100 countries worldwide. With sales of EUR 22.6 billion in 2011, the company is a market leader in cardiac care, acute care and home healthcare, energy efficient lighting solutions and new lighting applications, as well as lifestyle products for personal well-being and pleasure with strong leadership positions in male shaving and grooming, portable entertainment and oral healthcare.